In a blog post on the official ‘Star Wars: Battlefront’ website, Senior Producer Sigurlina Ingvarsdottir has outlined plans for the game’s four big DLC packages (already paid for if you bought the season pass) as well as free content coming to everyone’s favourite Star Wars shooter in the coming months.
Iconic locations these expansions are set within include the Cloud City of Bespin, Jabba the Hutt’s palace on Tatooine, as well as the Empire’s Death Star.
But we’ve pulled out some highlights below –
In terms of free content we’re getting the following from January 27th:
- The Tatooine Survival map will support the Blast, Droid Run, Drop Zone, Hero Hunt, and Heroes vs Villains multiplayer modes, and will be called ‘Raider Camp’.
- New Hoth-themed outfits for Luke Skywalker and Han Solo.
- Private Matchmaking will become available.
- The introduction of Daily Challenges and Community Events.
- Additional balancing tweaks to both weapons and multiplayer modes.
In February, we will continue to get more free content for all players, including a new Survival mission on Hoth, and a brand-new Hoth multiplayer map that will support larger game modes including Walker Assault, Supremacy, Fighter Squadron and Turning Point. Turning Point will also be made available on all maps that currently support Walker Assault and Supremacy.
In March, the game will be adding another new multiplayer map on Endor that will support Walker Assault, Supremacy, and Turning Point, and an additional Tatooine Survival map.
In terms for the paid stuff – the blog gives us the vague outlines below but we can look forward to learning more as March 2016 approaches:
- Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Outer Rim (March 2016) – Fight among the factories of Sullust and battle within Jabba the Hutt’s palace on Tatooine
- Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Bespin (Summer 2016) – It’s hunt or be hunted in this action-packed experience set in the Cloud City of Bespin
- Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Death Star (Fall 2016) – That’s no moon! One of the most iconic locations in the Star Wars universe makes its debut in Star Wars Battlefront.
- Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Expansion Pack 4 – Title TBA (Early 2017) – We will have more details to share about this exciting new expansion pack in the coming months.
We’ve said before on ‘The Action Pixel’ that the lack of Prequel or ‘Force Awakens’ content is a real disappointment and the plan to keep Battlefront strictly within the realms of original trilogy should have been made clear before asking people to buy the season pass. That being said the content does look like fun and we’ll certainly be running around Cloud City and the Death Star come autumn 2016. Let’s just hope that the DLC is good enough to justify the season pass price tag.